Bristol Myers Squibb Associate Scientist/Engineer in Syracuse, New York
The role of the Associate Scientist/Engineer is to conduct experiments for the purposes of providing robust and timely technical support for commercial upstream biopharmaceutical manufacturing processes consisting of cell banking, medium preparation, inoculum expansion, bioreactor production and primary recovery.
Reports to Senior Scientist/Engineer or Group Leader/Associate Director.
• The operation, cleaning and maintenance of laboratory equipment, the preparation of media and reagents
• Documentation of experimental data and results, data verification and the preparation of study protocols and final reports.
• Serves as a Qualified Trainer as applicable
• Ensures laboratory maintenance to sustain a safe, effective and productive environment and ensures that appropriate GLP/GMP procedures are followed where appropriate
• Prepares, reviews and/or approves technical documents, study designs or protocols, and final reports
• Troubleshoots process related problems observed at manufacturing scale through the effective design of scale-down studies and the evaluation of data from manufacturing lots.
• Interacts with global Health Authorities for site inspections and CMC authoring of regulatory filings (IND, IND amendment, BLA, MAA, PAS, etc.) and inquiry responses
• Collaborates with cross functional teams and representatives of other organizations outside of Manufacturing Sciences and Technology as well as other groups within the department
The Associate Scientist/Engineer works with minimal supervision or independently to conduct laboratory work, data analysis and interpretation to deliver results in line with project and team objectives. The Associate Scientist/Engineer also collaborates with other groups.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc:
General scientific knowledge and laboratory skills required. Knowledge in a few to several areas of mammalian cell culture, including process development, process characterization, process monitoring and troubleshooting, equipment design, continuous improvement and media development is preferred.
A B.A./B.S./M.S in Biological or Chemical Sciences/Engineering preferably with 0 to 2 years of experience in upstream biologics manufacturing.
These positions are a lab-based and requires appropriate levels of personal protective equipment (PPE). This role will require contact with biohazardous materials such as live cell cultures and other hazardous chemicals including methotrexate, acids, and caustics. Powdered materials and high temperature liquids and solids are also handled. This role also requires occasional unassisted lifting (not to exceed 50 lbs). Depending on the work demands, office-based work requires sitting. This position is based indoors and you will primarily be working with others, but also independently and alone at times. This position is a team-based position that may require work at weekends and holidays.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.