Bristol Myers Squibb Sr. Veterinary Sciences Technical Coordinator in Redwood City, California
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we’re creating innovative medicines for patients who are fighting serious diseases. We’re also nurturing our own team with inspiring work and challenging career options. No matter our role, each of us makes a contribution. And that makes all the difference.
Position: Sr. Veterinary Sciences Technical Coordinator
Location: Redwood City, CA
We are seeking a Sr. Technical Coordinator to join the Veterinary Sciences team. As such you will experience a culture that believes in making the animal care and use program a model for the industry. We are focused on providing employees with career development and activities across our entire drug development process.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is the industry leader in immuno-oncology with life-saving medicines and a rich clinical portfolio of diverse modalities including monoclonal antibody, antibody drug conjugate, fusion protein, and combination regimes.
• Coordinates and performs routine and some non-routine work required for the care of laboratory animals.
• Coordinates and regularly assists in providing health care for laboratory animals, restraint of animals for veterinary staff and research personnel and performs various technical procedures as requested.
• Assists VS Operations staff in maintenance of the animal facility.
• Plays a leadership role in evaluating, initiating and implementing new and/or revised processes which may improve animal welfare, efficiency and productivity.
• Provides proper feed and clean caging to laboratory animals and checks drinking water system in assigned areas/rooms daily.
• Accurately and consistently completes room logs, other forms, and records applicable to position on prescribed schedule.
• Assesses the health of animals in designated area on a daily basis & reports any issues to the veterinary staff.
• Monitors environmental parameters, condition of animal rooms and equipment in rooms, and proper functioning of mechanical systems (e.g., HVAC, lighting, automatic drinking water system) in assigned areas/rooms daily.
• Works cooperatively with VS Operations staff and Facilities staff to initiate work orders and schedule work order/preventative maintenance completion.
• Coordinates the operation and/or operates cage washers, autoclaves, and other equipment as assigned.
• Coordinates and/or performs equipment repair and maintenance tasks.
• Coordinates the training of new VS staff, participates in training and may present training sessions.
• Communicates and coordinates activities across areas in VS and between VS and the research areas.
• Proficient in handling, restraining, and weighing animals.
• Performs various technical duties of a more complex nature together with or under the direction a veterinarian, Veterinary Scientist or research personnel.
• Coordinates technical aspects of specific area(s) of the facility including responsibility for maintaining the animal drinking water system.
• Works independently on projects.
• Serves as leader or co-leader on facility project teams, site VS teams and/or inter-site teams.
• Regularly suggests, develops, and evaluates changes in forms, methods, and procedures, as appropriate, to enhance efficiency, productivity, and animal welfare.
• Orders, receives and distributes animal facility supplies. Coordinates weekend/holiday schedules, daily husbandry coverage, and equipment needs in the animal facility.
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Individual will have consistently demonstrated a high level ability to understand and follow SOPs and will have been routinely involved with implementation of procedural changes. Demonstrated ability to consistently perform complex tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
• Individual must have demonstrated consistently high performance in following directions, communicating effectively, and creating/sustaining a team environment.
• Individual must have demonstrated leadership capabilities including past experience in guiding and instructing others.
• Individual will have demonstrated the physical stamina and dexterity needed to handle laboratory animals, including species that may be difficult to work with, and the use of personal protective equipment.
• Proficiency in computer applications and mobile devices currently used in VS and demonstrated ability to teach others their use.
• Demonstrates consistent, sustained high level performance in meeting objectives and consistent, sustained high level performance in Biopharma behaviors.
Experience – Responsibility and minimum number of years:
• Individual must have 8 years of relevant experience in the laboratory animal science field.
• Decisions need to be made as they pertain to area(s) of the vivarium and may include, but are not limited to carrying out critical phases of various procedures such as scheduling, collecting data for routine operations, preparing animals and samples for testing, etc.
• May make decisions and take action on standard procedures with appropriate communication while meeting a standard of excellence with regards to compliance with regulations, guidelines and SOPs.
• Receives and asks for frequent guidance and feedback on performance. Consistently provides feedback to co-workers and supervisors.
• Coordinates weekend and holiday schedules as well as equipment repairs and preventative maintenance.
• Individual must have an Associates of Science (AS) degree in a life sciences field of study
• A Bachelor’s of Science (BS) degree is preferred.
• Individual must have AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technologist (LATG) level.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.