Bristol Myers Squibb Associate Veterinary Scientist I/II in Redwood City, California
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
We are seeking a Veterinary Scientist who will provide daily health assessments, collaborate with investigators on research projects, ensure compliance with regulations/guidelines and maintain the appropriate documentation.
Position Responsibilities :
· Provide treatments and record observations for laboratory animals in our clinical records system, and under the guidance of a veterinarian, make basic clinical decisions.
· Perform specialized diagnostics to assist in the veterinary care program and undergo training to review and interpret basic diagnostic results.
· Provide a high level of scientific and technical support to investigators.
· Assist in designing and coordinating in vivo experiments, drafting and implementing protocols, executing studies, organizing data, analyzing results, and drafting reports/delivering presentations
· Collaborate with the veterinary and investigative staff on research projects, primarily pre-clinical study conduct; operate laboratory equipment and software applications used for collecting clinical data; provide support and training on technical procedures for investigative staff; understand the active research activities; and provide minor surgical assistance as needed.
· Review relevant Standard Operating Procedures to ensure compliance with external guidelines and regulations governing animal care and use, and provide assistance with execution/evaluation of equipment qualification testing of autoclaves, rack washers and room sanitization.
· Weekend/holiday coverage may be required on a rotating schedule.
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· This individual must be proficient in conducting basic/routine clinical veterinary and technical research support procedures under minimal supervision.
· Must have an excellent understanding of the biology and be proficient in handling various laboratory animal species.
· Must have experience with veterinary procedures including PO, SQ, IM, IV and IP treatments as well as sample collection in rodents; use of inhalant and injectable anesthetics; aseptic technique; perioperative care; and necropsy.
· Must have a good understanding of research animal facility operations to include animal welfare practices, husbandry procedures, enrichment programs, and applicable regulations.
· Must be proficient with the use and maintenance of standard equipment within an animal research facility and have demonstrated the ability to train others to operate this equipment.
· Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organizational skills, and exceptional attention to detail.
Experience – Responsibility and minimum number of years:
· Must have an excellent understanding of the biology and proper care of laboratory animal species typically attained with 3-6 years relevant experience in a laboratory animal facility.
· Bachelors of Science (BS) in a life sciences field of study is required
· Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is preferred
· Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) certification from AALAS is required
Bristol-Myers Squibb is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.