Bristol Myers Squibb Head of IT for Global Regulatory Sciences, Biometrics and Medical in Princeton, New Jersey
Accountable for positioning GRSB and Medical for success in the digital era: lead and accelerate GRSB’s and Medical’s digitization through technology innovation, ensure that their information capabilities and operations are reliable, accessible and secure, and enable them to become competitively differentiated in a rapidly-changing scientific landscape.
Provide domain leadership to IT for GRSB and Medical:
Owns the IT strategy: Drives the development of realistic and actionable multi-year strategic digital capability roadmaps, informed and prioritized by business and IT in an enterprise context. Prioritizes the portfolio appropriately and is accountable for the overall portfolio budget management. Partners closely with IT for Commercial Functions to ensure effective IT support of Field Medical teams.
Develops compelling business cases: Leads the prioritization and development of strong and clear business cases for digital capability investments in support of the roadmap and aligned with the platform strategy. Defines, measures, & achieves business outcomes for highest value (at the lowest cost) digital capabilities.
Brings an external view: Actively maintains awareness of external drivers in the business domain and relevant technology trends, and brings new ideas.
o Knows what value looks like: Understands where BMS should be competitively differentiated through technology, translates business needs into specific business requirements, sees realistic opportunities for IT to add more value, and balances this with a pragmatic understanding of “fitness for purpose”.
Provide strategic leadership for GRSB & Medical:
Builds strong partnerships with senior leaders of GRSB and Medical : Is viewed by senior business leaders as an effective partner who plans and delivers digital capabilities, safeguards their digital assets and supports their strategic goals.
Recognized as a thought leader and trusted advisor: Influences the strategic thinking of senior business leaders, and helps business leaders to include future digital capabilities into their planning.
Owns the relationship: Has effective working relationships with all relevant business leaders, is deeply involved with key business activities and forums, is responsible for building and managing effective business partnership at all levels during project execution, and takes full accountability for delivering the value proposition of IT.
Drives change: Ensures effective planning, execution and communication of business change management to support digital capability investments, including business process changes to achieve maximum value from investments. Accountable for ensuring an effective change management plan is in place for their individual projects.
Leverages the matrix to get things done for GRSB and Medical:
Empowers build & run teams: Understands IT business partner accountabilities throughout the plan/build/run cycle, and builds empowered and trusting partnerships with IT build & run team members at all levels.
Constructively advocates for value: Ensures build & run teams understand how to make the right trade-offs between speed, quality and cost. Connects the business stakeholders with the broader IT services. Ensures value is being captured from the entire lifecycle of the investment (from launch through retirement).
Shows good judgement in communication: Communicates successes and issues accurately, urgently, and to the right audience, and takes accountability for ensuring effective management of expectations with business leaders.
Boldly acts with urgency: Shows courage, tenacity and respect to provoke uncomfortable conversations in order to remove roadblocks to value delivery.
Provide strong and supportive line management of GRSB and Medical IT Business Partner team: approximately 13 FTEs in cNJ and 1 in Europe, plus consultants. This team has strong expertise in IT and informatics in the domains of clinical pharmacology; regulatory information management; regulatory authoring and publishing; pharmacovigilance & epidemiology; medical HCP engagement; Medical content authoring, publishing and management; platforms for Medical home office and Medical scientific liaison. Mentors and develops staff to achieve and exceed performance, and to sustain talent pipeline for the future.
· Strong domain expertise in the application of IT to Regulatory, Safety and Medical, including a broad understanding of typical Regulatory, Safety and Medical processes (for example, content generation, content management, submission management, labelling, publishing, translation, HCP engagement, analytics and visualization) and how they are supported by IT tools and systems.
· Track record of leading the analysis of complex and ambiguous scientific business needs, and integrating those into compelling and actionable strategic plans and investment business cases with global reach including US, Europe and Asia.
· Track record of delivering high-value capability projects in a regulated R&D environment.
· Demonstrable commitment to assess and apply innovative new technologies to use cases in GRSB and Medical (eg artificial intelligence, robotic process automation, blockchain), achieving a balance between pragmatic value and transformation.
· Experience of large-scale SaaS deployments, and how to work with SaaS partners ensure maximum value and effectiveness.
· Experience of maximizing value from enterprise IT platforms, including Veeva, SFDC.
· Working knowledge of agile methodologies applied to SDLC and IT services.
· Ability to drive strategic synergies between Regulatory and Medical, and between Medical and Commercial functions.
· Seasoned line and matrix management skills, with a particular emphasis on energizing and developing experienced IT professionals spread across multiple sites.
· Demonstrated ability to create and support a dynamic culture of innovation and continuous improvement in line reports and in the matrix.
· PhD/ MS in Life Sciences, IT/IS or a related discipline.
· 10+ years experience in leadership roles biopharma R&D, in IT and/or Regulatory or Medical functions.
This position reports directly to the Head of IT for R&D and will be a very high-profile leadership role in both R&D and in IT. Successful performance in this role will prepare an individual for more senior roles in several related IT functions or in the R&D business.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.